Friday, September 2, 2011

Country Strong

Hello readers. I feel like right now I should put to rest any rumors you may have heard about me. Yes. I did get a job. It is a good job and I love the people I work with. They are enormous rednecks. While I have only worked there for a week, I feel I have learned some invaluable lessons from them.

Working with Rednecks, I hear a lot of country music. (I would like to take a moment before I continue any further to apologize to any of my 4 readers who love country music.) I used to think that I hated country music. I refused to listen to it. But my eyes have been opened to it's true value: humor. Country music is HILARIOUS! My first piece of evidence comes in the form of a song about a man who has found that his woman is cheating on him. Not a very humorous premise, I admit, but through the genius of country style it becomes a gold mine of stereotype humor. The song is called, "That ain't my truck." Behold: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HNY4KwFjwaU

I used to think that it was a joke that all they sing about was trucks and farming and dogs, but now I've found that joke was wholly inadequate. When it comes to pride in their lifestyle, no other genre of music can hold a candle to Country. Even rappers can't hold a candle to it. I don't know if this is some deep seeded insecurity, or a hugely inflated sense of pride. I think it is most likely both. I have only listened to in total maybe 10 songs, but at least three were completely about how much better it is to be a redneck than any other. According to these men if you can't skin a buck you have failed at life. The rest attempted to be about something else, but gosh darnit if that country pride didn't seep in and take over. One touching song about a father spending time with his daughter becomes an ode to fishing. It is incredible!
I still would not listen to Country, given the choice, but I have found it to be an enjoyable experience nonetheless. To close I leave you with this light and upbeat song about infidelity and homicide in one man's family: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u7BxLkdtyg4

No comments:

Post a Comment