Monday, March 28, 2011

He's got 75 Golden Camels

I was wondering last night as I watched Aladdin why Aladdin felt compelled to lie to the princess. A big part of the movie revolves around him not actually being a prince. If this is the case, then the genie kinda sucks, right? I mean Aladdin did not wish to look like a prince, he wished to be a prince. He wished it, it should be legit right? I mean when Jafar wished to be sultan he was sultan. He wasn’t just dressed in fancy clothes. And then the princess finds out that he is in fact Aladdin after their magical carpet ride across the whole of the Asian continent and parts of Africa as well. He straight up tells her, and yet she is surprised when Jafar reveals it again at the end. And then there is all this drama about freeing the genie, because somehow Jafar undid the prince thing? So he was a prince before then? Anyway, Aladdin is torn, because he has to choose between freeing the genie or being able to marry the princess. But wait, the princess is right there. Why can’t he wish to be a prince, the princess gets 2 quick wishes and then she sets him free? Does he have a 6 wish per 10,000 year cap? Because it just seemed to me that whoever had the lamp was in control. And the very last thing (I promise) is after the genie is set free, it appears that he still has all his powers. Aladdin just did him a solid, perhaps the most significant one of his existence. He is now FREE. Free to do whatever he wants with his “phenomenal cosmic power” and he can’t help his buddy out? Or were his powers limited to doing random impressions of people and flight?

So long story short, I realized yesterday that I have become way too critical of my movies.

No comments:

Post a Comment