Tuesday, January 3, 2012

That Was An Overreaction

Hello readers! Welcome to my first blog post of 2012, the year of doom. I probably don't have to explain to you what I mean, since you have all been alive for the past several years, but I am going to anyway, because I can. The Mayan Calender ends on December 21st 2012 and so OBVIOUSLY that is the date the world is going to end. This is something I don't understand. I have a Batman calender still hanging on my wall at home that ended December 31st 2010, and the world is still here. I fail to see the correlation. I think the problem is that people in our day have a tendency to blow things way out of proportion. I blame the media.

And Chocolate

Seriously though, think back. How many times in recent memory were we all going to die? Swine flu? Bird flu? West Nile? Global warming is gonna kill us too. A while back I guess that it was a second ice age. Way back people were all afraid that the saber-tooth tiger population was going to rise up and kill everybody. The reason I blame the media is because it is totally their fault. They need to keep people watching, and people are only entertained for so long by videos of water skiing squirrels. When there is a "Global crisis" people are watching the News 24/7. They want all the facts all the time. Only when there is immediate danger will people respond and that is what the media needs to get ratings.

What is wrong with this country? This is adorable.

But really, it isn't just big things we overreact on. Take a brief click on over to Facebook or any comments section of any webpage. Every time you see someone use all caps or more than one exclamation point take a gulp of water. If they do both take two. I can almost guarantee you will die of water poisoning within the hour.

It is even evident in the way we speak. The word "awesome" used to mean something truly incredible. Things like seeing the Earth from outer space, or the killing power of the great white shark. You know, things that inspire awe. With that in mind, this is an actual conversation that I had recently.

Me: Hey, what's up?
Friend: Nothing, just watching Spongebob.
Me: Awesome!

Magnificent. There are no words.

All this overreacting, I feel, is bad for society. If it doesn't stop WE ARE ALL GOING TO DIE.

2 comments:

  1. Isabelle made a very clever observation: awful is more than awesome because full of awe is better than only some awe...

    ReplyDelete