Friday, April 15, 2011

Where is Tall Man?

I was thinking today, which I am sure many people wish I would stop doing, and I realized that children’s songs have some of the most retarded lyrics of all time. Either that, or there is some deep hidden meaning…

Take, for example, Where is Thumbkin? Many people get distracted by the fact that you get to stick up your middle finger in that song, but when one examines the lyrics, one has to wonder what they are all about. It starts with a call to Thumbkin, a call which is answered by not one, but two individuals. They nervously exchange pleasantries, and then both flee. Now what is going on here? Maybe it is a case of mistaken identity, or perhaps coincidence. But no, as the song progresses it is obvious that there is something amiss because exactly two answer every call, and then almost immediately run away. Why are they so frightened? It seems to me that there is a conspiracy here. Perhaps robot imposters trying to take over?

Another one is the song Did you ever see a Lassie? Now this seems like a frivolous song at first glance. Did I ever see a lassie go this way and that? Yes. I have. Is she lost? To me the writer of the song was distressed by the flakiness he observed in some women. They seemed to go this way and that way, changing their minds in the blink of an eye.

Or maybe I am just thinking too hard.

No comments:

Post a Comment