Saturday, June 11, 2011

What do you think?

I think it is funny when teachers phrase their test questions in such a way that they are asking for your opinion. The first time I came across one of these questions, I was almost giddy with joy. There was no way I could get this wrong! No one can tell me what I think! Apparently I was wrong. Apparently people can and do tell you what you think, because I got that question wrong.

Do not ask me "What are your thoughts on the evolution of the Roman Empire throughout it's history?" and expect an answer other than "Well, I think it's funny they all wore togas." Technically that isn't even wrong, because you asked me what I thought.

Apparently teachers believe that they know what I am thinking better than me. They tell me, "No, your thoughts are that 'The evolution of Rome is symbolic of all empires and shows us that even in the most sophisticated of cultures have a barbaric side, and all dynasties eventually meet an end.'" Ah! See, because I thought that I was thinking that other stuff. It is nice of you to get in my head and show me what really is going on up there! Apparently, I am incredibly smart. If I could learn to tap into my own brain, I would be unstoppable!

I guess what I am really trying to say is that teachers need to be more specific about what they're looking for when they write questions.

1 comment:

  1. Or maybe your grade is based on your lack of thought :-P

    ReplyDelete