Monday, October 31, 2011

Hello ween

Since today is Halloween, I thought I would try a little something different. I can't really put a costume on this entry, but I can "dress up" my language to sound like someone different. I can still pretend to be someone else as I write this. So I decided that who I wanted to be was a 18-19th century individual who traveled through time... and decided to blog about it I guess.

It is the evening of October the 31st in the year of 2011. I am a long way, or, rather, a long when from my home. It is the night of "All Hallows Even." It appears that the traditions of the holiday have been greatly altered from those of my time. For instance, in my time we dressed as saints to scare away evil demons, wicked spirits, and all manner of unseemly creatures. In this day, it is shocking to see that grown men have dressed themselves in the tightest of clothing, with nothing to cover their shame but long capes on their backs. They call themselves "superheroes" but nothing in their manner recalls to my memory the heroes of old. It seems to me that many of these men are insecure and dress as these "heroes" to absorb themselves, for this one evening, in some sort of fantasy. The women, on the other hand, use the holiday as an excuse to remove the greater part of their clothing and run around in nothing but their undergarments. It is quite scandalous and shameful. It seems it is the children, however, that take greatest advantage from this holiday. They also get to absorb themselves in this world of fantasy, but instead of using their costume to try and impress females for the chance of courtship, like the men, or to show the largest amount of their skin as is lawful as the women do, they don their disguises and begin to solicit sweets from their surrounding neighbors. The neighbors seem to be delighted at this notion, and are quite likely to give them the confections they require. I began to desire some of the sweets that were being so freely passed, so I decided to try this "trick for treat." It seems that I did not have the same bewitching power as the children, because as I knocked on the same doors, instead of delight and sweets, all that waited was ugly looks and reprimands. It seems that I am unwelcome and must return to my own time. Godspeed.

-Octavius Blatherstone III
.

No comments:

Post a Comment