Friday, November 11, 2011

Best Wishes!

Today on the radio I heard that one song that everybody likes about pretending airplanes were shooting stars just so that they could have a wish. The exact lyrics are, if memory serves "Can we pretend that airplanes in the night sky are like shooting stars? I could really use a wish right now." Funny story. I know that this is a pretty crazy concept for "believers" but all shooting stars are are pieces of space debris burning up in the Earth's atmosphere. Now I'll be the first to admit that a shooting star is an incredible thing to experience, and I admit that I have wished on my fair share, but really they are just hunks of flaming rock. Maybe I'm doing it wrong, but every time I wished on a shooting star, my wish was not instantly granted. And if it eventually was, it had a lot to do with my actions. My point being here, is the singer is so desperate for a wish, but I don't understand why, because you can have as many wishes as you want all the time. A moment like one where you see a shooting star just gives you a little time to think about what you truly desire. I get the impression that they know what they are gonna wish for. The wish is already there. Why, then does she need to wish on an airplane? Is she expecting that if she gets the go ahead from the "wish guy" or whoever the heck she is singing to and wishes on an airplane that her wish will instantly be granted? Why does she have to pretend airplanes are shooting stars? Why is she justifying her choice of what to wish on? Wish on whatever you want! There is no "wish guy". Shooting stars aren't magic. 11:11 isn't fairy godparent time. Birthday candles aren't genies.

You know what? Forget the whole wish thing altogether. Prayer is where it's at. That actually gets you somewhere.

(Sidenote: Five leaf clovers are the real deal though. I found one once, made a wish on it and it was almost immediately granted. Sadly you can't pretend airplanes are five leaf clovers, BoB or whoever is asking.)

Happy 11/11/11!

No comments:

Post a Comment