Sunday, December 11, 2011

Day 11

I’m gonna start today off with a joke that a friend of mine told me a while back to set the tone for this next song. What did the little orphan get for Christmas? Cancer. Now that you are extremely uncomfortable, I want you to take that joke, and write a song about it, except the song can’t be a joke. It has to be completely serious. If you managed to do that, congratulations, you have written the second most depressing Christmas song of all time, because nothing, absolutely nothing, can top this:

What is this? Why? Apparently this song is for the parents who subscribe to the “You’re lucky you got anything at all!” approach to Christmas. I still vividly remember the first time I heard this song on the radio. I kept waiting for the uplifting message about giving. I got really hopeful when the speaking part in the middle came up. I was waiting for the “Even though Santa forgot this little boy, doesn’t mean we should. We should use the opportunity that the Christmas Season gives us to reach out and help all those less fortunate in the spirit of giving.” It never came. The best I can figure is this song just wants you to feel bad about ever being happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment