Friday, December 9, 2011

Day 9

Out of all the songs in the world to be “the” song everyone listens to at Christmas time, would someone please explain to me why this one was chosen:

First of all, let’s get this out of the way, the title isn’t even grammatically correct. It should be “Jingle, Bells!” The whole song is solely devoted to riding around in a sleigh with bells on it. Practically nobody does that anymore. They need to add another verse to the song to say “I’ve got these sleigh bells all over my house because it is the 21st century and we don’t drive sleighs anymore, but because of this song I have to have something to jingle at all times. It’s a Christmas tradition.” I bet we could trace the commercialization of Christmas straight back to this song. It has nothing to do with Christmas, and not once is Christmas mentioned in the song, or anything Christmas-y for that matter, but we love it so! Now I admit that I might be a little biased considering Nathan has been listening to this song since April, but then again that is precisely my point. Take away the Christmas magic and you realize it is a terribly annoying song. I think that just goes to show that this song is a parasite, latched on to Christmas to maintain its unnaturally long life.

No comments:

Post a Comment